Mon – Fri, 10am – 5pm; Sat 10am – 4pm
South Shields Museum & Art Gallery
The building that South Shields Museum & Art Gallery currently occupies has had a long and interesting past, having been constructed originally as a home for the South Shields Literary, Mechanical and Scientific Institution. In 1873 the building became the town’s first free Public Library and Reading rooms, before opening as a museum in 1876.
The museum is spread over two floors, telling the story of the borough’s social, industrial and maritime history from 4,000 years ago to the present day through a range of displays and nationally significant works of art — and the art gallery on the first floor holds regular temporary exhibitions.