Newcastle & Gateshead
Northern Print is a registered charity with a small team, all working part time, a board of trustees and an existing bank of volunteers who support one-off events and who all contribute a huge amount to the positive experience the organisation offers. Funded through Art Fund, this new post will enable Northern Print to increase volunteer engagement from its diverse cohort of 150 members, studio users and wider community.
The Volunteer Co-ordinator will work with the staff team to identify tasks and roles for volunteers, source and recruit new volunteers, plan, and deliver appropriate inductions/training and act as a point of contact for volunteers, ensuring clear communication is maintained throughout.
This role will be an integral part of a small, supportive team and it is expected that the successful candidate will spend some time on site at Northern Print to support staff and volunteers. Ongoing monitoring of the volunteer programme and appraisals will also be required to provide evaluation for the trustees and continuous improvement.
Northern Print is happy to provide flexible working patterns to support a range of candidates, although it envisages the time allocation will be front-loaded to set up the programme. The role has been designed for freelancers, but Northern Print would be happy to discuss a PAYE option with suitable candidates.
- Experience of recruiting and managing teams effectively and safely.
- Ability to engage and motivate a broad-ranging volunteer team with varying needs.
- Knowledge and experience of policies and procedures for recruiting and supporting volunteers e.g., safeguarding, health and safety, equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a wide range of people including stakeholders and partners.
- Experience in carrying out appraisals and evaluation
- Excellent project management and organisational skills.
- Motivated, self-managing and flexible.
- DBA check will be required.
- IT skills and use of software for delivery of the volunteer programme.
- Some experience of working in a charitable, NPO and visual arts organisation is desirable.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Working with the staff team to identify tasks and roles for volunteers — including consideration for the skills, experience, person specification and training needed to undertake these successfully.
- Using our networks and those of partners to source and recruit volunteers — ensuring the process is open to all and specifically targeting groups and individuals who are under-represented.
- Plan and deliver an induction process including appropriate policies and procedures and/or formal training.
- Continue to support and monitor the volunteers and the staff team, ensuring volunteers needs are understood and met and the staff are supported to ensure a positive experience for all.
- Undertake appraisals and review the volunteer programme, to provide evaluation for the trustees and implement any lessons learned during the initial phase as the programme develops in year 2.
- Any other duties appropriate to the role as requested.