The Collective Studio provides affordable studios and workspace, and a programme of training, events, mentoring, socials and opportunities to exhibit work tailored to each cohort and open to a very diverse range of practices.
Perhaps you’ve just left university or finished a masters; you might not have been to university, but are searching for like-minded people; maybe you are returning to a creative endeavor after life got in the way for a while?
The Collective Studio uses a very broad definition of art and artistic practice.
The Collective Studio has a flexible approach and evolves year on year.
The structure and content of the programme is shaped by and for its members with support from The NewBridge Project’s Artist Development Programmer and other staff. It is set against the backdrop of our evolving public programme, which explores big topics like climate change, who our cities are for and methods for collective solidarity that can help us imagine and live new futures.
It is run by The NewBridge Project in partnership with Newcastle University’s Institute for Creative Arts Practice and is supported by the North of Tyne Combined Authority
The Collective Studio is about much more than subsidised studio space. It includes:
- Crits, events & workshops
- Invited local and national workshop leaders
- Work-in-progress exhibitions
- Field trips
- Budget allocated for the cohort to collectively use, providing the opportunity to exhibit work and/or programme events.
- Peer-led activity
- Studio & workspace
- Access to member-led workshops (including wood workshop, darkroom, print studio, ceramic studio)
If you are interested in a studio space and not the programme, then have a look at applying for a studio on the ‘Become a Member’ page on our Website.
How does it work?
The Collective Studio operates through an 11-month membership model providing
different types of space membership including:
- shared studios (£38 per month – 2 people sharing a 5m2 space with own desk);
- coworking and hot desking (£25 per month);
- associate membership for Non North-East based practitioners only (£60 per year / £5 per month – most activity accessible virtually).
Through this membership you also have access to a broader range of events and development opportunities through NewBridge’s ongoing artistic programme and Practice Makes Practice (our wider member-led development programme).
Along with studio and workspace, Collective Studio members will gain access to a regular and flexible curriculum of support, including events, socials and mentoring. The structure will be shaped around three 2-day workshops in October, February and June, monthly events with invited guest practitioners and regular socials and peer-led activity.
The Collective Studio is based at The NewBridge Project in Shieldfield, Newcastle.
How to apply
We have a number of different ways to apply for The Collective Studio:
- Through a single PDF document
- Through a video or sound file
- Through a recorded conversation with NewBridge staff (if you’d prefer this option, email Dan to arrange by the end of June)
Whichever method suits you, your application must contain the information below.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘YOUR NAME_The Collective Studio Application’ in the subject line.
Thursday 13 July, 12 noon
Successful applicants will be notified by Thursday 3 August.
See here for all the information you will need to apply: NewBridge website